Home Base Iowa
The Greater Fort Dodge Growth Alliance supports the Home Base Iowa program. which is a statewide program designed to assist veterans coming back from duty, and transitioning back into civilian life.
Webster County offers a wide variety of employment opportunities, particularly in the areas of manufacturing, financial services, healthcare, biosciences, construction, and transportation. We work with a number of employers and trade organizations who are committed to hiring veterans, often for positions that have not been posted to the public.
In addition to job assistance, Greater Fort Dodge has a variety of benefits for veterans who choose to relocate to our community. These include vouchers for dining and lodging, educational benefits, housing tax breaks, and other perks.
Benefits for Veterans
Below is a list of benefits available to veterans through the Home Base Iowa program at Greater Fort Dodge:
- $100 Voucher towards one night’s stay at a participating Webster County hotel/motel.
- $50 food voucher at a participating Webster County restaurant.
- Resident tuition for all veterans and the immediate families at Iowa Central Community College
- Free book rentals if Veterans Affairs benefits do not cover that cost at Iowa Central Community College.
- Free admission to all Iowa Central Community College campus activities such as sporting events, musicals, plays, and fine art events for veterans and their families.
- One on one assistance with G.I. Bill paperwork with Veterans Affairs certifying official on Iowa Central Community College campus.
- Veterans recognized at Iowa Central Community College's graduation by wearing Red, White and Blue cord.
- Iowa Central Community College will work with veterans to make sure they have books/tools the first day of class even if their Veterans Affairs funds have not been sent to Iowa Central Community College.
- Iowa Central Community College Recreation Center discount even if not a current student.
- Welcome gift basket from Iowa Central Community College including but not limited to a punch card for 10 free meals in the cafeteria, Iowa Central apparel, draw string bag, lanyard and a thank-you note from Iowa Central for serving our country.
- Iowa Central Community College offers a Veteran’s Day program.
- Iowa Central Community College has scholarships available to help with tuition for those who don’t receive full payment from Veterans Affairs.
- One on one assistance with GI Bill paperwork with Veterans Affairs certifying official on Buena Vista University campus.
- Buena Vista University will work with veterans to make sure they have books the first day of class even if their Veterans Affairs funds have not been sent to Buena Vista University.
- Buena Vista University is a yellow ribbon school, a supplementary program and an extension of the benefits provided by the New GI bill.
- Welcome gift from Buena Vista University including a thank-you note from Buena Vista University for serving our country.
- The City of Fort Dodge offers 5-year 100% tax abatement on the first $75,000 on a new home or home improvements.
- The City of Fort Dodge offers $25 in “Rec Bucks” to be used for Rosedale Rapids Aquatic Center or Lakeside Municipal Golf Course.
- The Fort Dodge Community Recreation Center will offer a 5 day punch card; if chosen to join first month is free.
- Veterans will be provided a personalized guided tour of the community (by a Veteran when available) courtesy of the Greater Fort Dodge Growth Alliance and receive a Welcome Bag.
- Free initiation fees and first year membership dues to veterans joining the Fort Dodge Noon Lions Club.
The Home Base Iowa program provides meaningful career opportunities for veterans after they leave the service. For businesses, the program connects them to highly trained individuals who have demonstrated their solid work ethic, professional attitude, leadership, integrity and loyalty. And for the state as a whole, the program improves our laborshed as a whole while giving back to veterans for their service to the country.
To participate in the program, you must meet the following standards:
- The business pledges to hire a specific number of veterans. This standard may be met by providing a signed letter of intent or other signed written statement to Iowa Workforce Development. Such statement should indicate the number of veterans the company pledges to hire by December 31, 2018.
- The business commits to posting their available jobs on our website. This standard may be met by certifying such commitment in a signed letter or other signed written statement provided to Iowa Workforce Development. The business is not required to post jobs exclusively to the Home Base Iowa website.
- The business becomes a member of the Skilled Iowa program. This standard may be attained by meeting the existing Skilled Iowa standards, or by demonstrating that the business is already a member of the Skilled Iowa Program.